Sunday 14 June 2015

The Best Flying Day. Ever.

Sunday 14th June 2015





"You can use our dual Wills Wing Falcon glider. Its "spankers" and I'm based just down the road from you..."

For several years I had dreamed of taking my boys flying. Last year I completed my dual training specifically to make this dream come true and now Martin Colclough,joint HG Meethead, had put the final part of the jigsaw in place by offering me access to his Wills Wing Falcon dual glider. As National Head of Sports Recovery, Help for Heroes, Martin is involved with some amazing work. Any time you need a dual pilot, just let me know. 

With glider on the roof, me, Tom (14) and Jack (11) headed off to Westbury. During the 45 minute drive to the hill I had talked them through what the day would look like. Check the site, rig and check the glider, solo test flight, dual flight with Tom, dual flight with Jack. I didn't want to overload them with info but they are already becoming flying "savvy" having been subjected to my relentless flying stories. The forecast was a bit "iffy" in terms of cross country flying, but with a 10mph NNW wind it was looking likely that we could go dual flying. Much lighter and the hill would be completely overcrowded with PGs. As we approached the hill we could see two PGs climbing gently. 
"How are you feeling, guys?"
"Nervous" said Tom.
"Bricking it" said Jack.
"Look, we will only fly if its safe to do so. And even then, if you don't want to, you don't have to". 
"But I want to, I just have to overcome my fear". That's my boy. I was bursting with pride, even before we had the glider off the car.

There was a good turn out of hang gliders already rigged including Nev Almond, Till Obermeier, and Sam and Graham (having driven all the way up from Cornwall - mad Kernow boys). As me and the boys went to the front of the hill, chatting to everyone we passed, it was great for them to experience the friendliness and community feel of our sport, especially now as they were going to join the exclusive club of flying.

Err, thats not how it was described in the briefing
Feeling the breeze on our faces at launch, discussing flight paths along the ridge and landing options, and doing little practice runs with them, it suddenly dawned on me that today really was going to be the day I took my boys flying. I felt focussed but not overly stressed by the magnitude of what I was about to do. A heightened sense of awareness coupled with calmness was definitely kicking in. 

By midday we had the glider rigged. I made my way to the front through the melee of paragliders and quickly launched for a solo test flight. Predictable, mellow handling meant I was soon climbing above launch. Glider and conditions felt good, and the sky was not overly crowded. With a quick dash downwind to the landing area, I turned in to wind expecting to gently descend. But unusually for Westbury there was little breeze in the field and the floaty dual glider was covering the ground faster than I had expected. Maybe I should have opted to land on the wheels. Bleed off the speed, and "FLARE". A bit too early and a bit too hard. A few feet gained in height and then a "parachute" down on to the wheels. Thank heavens for big, pneumatic wheels. All systems normal. 

Right, back to the front, and get Tom harnessed up and briefed. A quick recap on how to run at take off, hold the pilot (shoulder and wrist), and what to expect at landing. Clip in. Hang check. This is getting serious. Sam on the nose. Left wing lifting. Back down. Try again. Up with the nose. Wing feeling balanced. 
"Ready Tom?"
"Yep".
"Don't forget to run. Ok, here we go. RELEASE!.....RUN, RUN, RUN, RUN......"




And we were flying. WE were flying. I don't know who was more blown away. I always knew it was going to be special, but I am sure even the best word-smith would have trouble describing this moment. We flew up and down the ridge, trying to find lift and gain enough height to make a top landing. As I turned in and fell out of broken lift Tom experienced surges and stalls, but always with me explaining what was happening. His grip on my wrist was tight, but he soon relaxed. 


Flying out from the hill to the landing field below
After twenty minutes it was time to land, so we flew out from the hill to make an unhurried approach to the bottom field. Tom and I got back in to "upright" mode and I pulled in plenty of speed as we turned in to wind (what little there was of it) on final approach on the up-slope. Wait. Wait. Wait..... FLARE! Better then last time but still not perfect with a bit of a nose in. 
"OK Tom?"
"Yep,  'll be ok". He had taken a bit of a bash but wasn't letting it get in the way of the moment.
"You've done it! You've flown!"
"That was so cool!" Good response.
A not so perfect looking sky
RIght, now for Jack. Hmm, not that easy as Jack and the car was at the top, and we were at the bottom. We hadn't heard from Jack on the radio that anyone was coming down so I jogged to the foot of the hill and scrambled up. No mean feat. Just as I reached the top, I looked back to see what I thought was my car pulling in to the field below. How nice, someone had driven my car down. A quick slide, scramble and roll down the hill and I was soon jogging back to the Tom. Ah, it was Till, in his blue VW, not my blue AUDI. I shouldn't have rushed back down. Oh well, I got a lift back up, fetched the car (and a now rather grumpy looking Jack who was being very patient) and hurried back to get the glider, Tom and Kernow Graham who had also bottom landed.

Back to the top. ice creams all round, and the promise of a quick re-rig and flight. With renewed enthusiasm Jack was soon harnessed up, briefed and clipped in.
"I'm having a brown trouser moment!"
"You OK to do this?"
"Oh yes". Respect, Jack. Respect.

As the PGs got sunk out and landed, I waited for a bit of breeze and any sign of lift. Soon one of the remaining PGs was climbing.
"Right Tom, let the nose come up. Thank you. Release. You ready Jack? RUN RUN RUN RUN..." Apparently my commands could be heard in the bottom field. With much less breeze, I wanted to ensure that Jack ran for his life. Which he did. 

Nervous at take off...
"YAY! We're flying!" And that was me!
"Oh my god, I can see why you fly. This is amazing" 
From fear to euphoria in a nano second. The picture says it all.
..but soon enjoying it!
We were always going to struggle for height. Less breeze, lees sunshine. I maximised our flight the best I could, scratching in as close as possible to the ridge, turning in little parcels of lumpy lift, but knowing that we were basically on an extended top to bottom. Suddenly, just as I was eyeing up the landing field, and as if to reward Jack for his patience, a Red Kite flew out from the hill just in front of us and started soaring.
"Do you see that bird Jack?"
"WOW!!!"
For a little while we flew very close, following it along the now lifty ridge, but soon we were making our approach to the field. This time I would get it right and "mush" it down on to the wheels, with my passenger safely tucked back and above me. 
Along the tree line... turn in to wind... pull on speed.  glide up the up-slope.   bleeding off speed... keep bleeding off speed... and ease the bar out.... PERFECT! 
A gentle touch down on the wheels and a VERY happy Jack.
A more gentle landing
"I guess I will be learning how to hang glide then". Result. 
Selfies all round, and a son grinning from ear to ear. 


With a lift up from Sam and Graham, Tom and I were soon driving back down in the car to finish packing the glider with Jack. I insisted on a group shot from our landing spot with the Wills Wing and White Horse in the background.  I am so proud of my boys.

The best flying day ever? Without a doubt. Nothing will ever top the day I took my boys flying for the first time. A memory to be cherished. And who knows, maybe I have just inspired the next generation of hang glider pilots. Happy days.





No comments:

Post a Comment