Monday 11 August 2014

Task 1 British/French Hang Gliding Nationals (Chabre Open), Laragne, France

There's something about a big hang gliding competition that is addictive. Well quite a few things about it are, now I come to think of it. A shared passion, sociable, an eclectic mix of people, stunning locations, a chance to meet up with old friends from around the world. I'm hooked.

 Every year the British Hang Gliding Competition panel organise the British Nationals, a competition held abroad in locations known to deliver great flying conditions both in terms of weather and terrain, and its where the British Champion is decided. So this year we are back at Laragne, just north of Sisteron and south west of Gap. 

Have a quick look at the official website (www.tourisme-laragne.fr/en). Laragne is an unpretentious town, with friendly, warm locals and surrounded by amazing scenery. It's a free-flying mecca, a place where hang gliding and para gliding pilots come year after year to enjoy the mountains and wide safe valleys for landing. The town is in the shadow of "Le Chabre", a long mountain ridge that delivers some excellent flying and a launch place for long cross country flights to various mountain peaks around the huge valley.

Chabre ridge on the right with Laragne in the background
This year we have joined up with the Federation Francaise de Vol Libre to combine both the British and French National Competitions in to one big event. 120 pilots, many travelling with their families, all gathering in one place to enjoy a sport that they are so passionate about. Its a lifestyle, and once its in your blood....

Anyway, enough of that. Back to the flying.
Task 1, Sunday 10th August.
A compulsory safety briefing was called for 9am at the town hall, the competition HQ. The main hall was packed out, reminiscent of a the World Championships where I had been Team GB Manager. Serious stuff, especially when a representative from the local electricity company gives a presentation on the dangers of "landing" in power lines. I don't think any of us had the intention of doing so.

Nick Pain, UK HG Meethead, at the safety briefing
Rebekah Sherwin, our weather guru, was greeted with the now mandatory "Good Morning Rebekah!" from the attentive pilots, all of whom have come to respect her immense meteorological knowledge.

Shortly afterwards the "circus" made the long winding drive up to the Chabre take off, some 6000" above sea level. I quickly got my glider off the roof of the car and  carried to a rigging spot next to the wooden take off ramp, just next to British Champion Grant Crossingham. An 89km task was called, carefully set to take in to account the strong southerly wind. which, if we were sent in to the wrong places, could cause some serious problems. A leg West for 20km, then back across take off to a point some 40km away, then a turn point just north of Laragne with the goal set at the usual Laragne Monteglin camp-site, with its huge landing field and beer on tap...


Happy days, before I realised my mistake...
I took off early, hoping to get high, and stay with the "top guns". And so I did. Until I realised I had not set one of my instruments up correctly (I blame the 16 hour drive from the day before). Having taken what I thought was the first start gate I had flown over 10km down the course, staying with a Moyes glider (not dissimilar to Gordon Riggs, one of the worlds best pilots) when I heard over the radio that pilots were just about to start the race on the first gate. Damn, I had jumped the gun, by a big margin. As I glided back to the start, a squadron of hang glider pilots were racing towards me. From thinking I was at the front, I was now definitely playing catch up. And that was how the day panned out, scrabbling to catch up , but realising that I had made a costly mistake.

Gliding along the ridge, I was amazed at how low some pilots were prepared to go before flying  out towards the safe landings of the valleys. Having been caught out last year in Spain, but managing to crawl out of a "Death Valley" (ie no landings) I am not prepared to put myself in that position again.

Crossing the valley toward the turn point in the East I had to fight to stay up, drifting in light thermals. As I crossed a wide gulley I could see a field full of gliders - well, perhaps being slower and just staying high might pay dividends. I wasn't going to be last! Taking the second turnpoint I was now flying in bouyant air, thnking that I might make the last turn point and goal. But no. After a drilling in turbulent winds I made a dash for a safe landing in large field near to the main road.

A View Junkie
My day had been average, punished by a stupid mistake, coming in 37th on the day. But special mention has to go to the British up and coming hot shots, Ollie Chitty and Luke Nicol. Ollie, flying in Class 1 and on his first foreign flying trip, came in 9th, a truly remarkable performance. Luke Nicol (Class 5 rigid) won the day for his class, flying against some strong international competition. Well done lads. You are doing us proud.


Full results here:






No comments:

Post a Comment